12-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #121
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
My perfect M car would be a roadgoing version of the E89 Z4. But as an M coupe with the s65 v8 engine. would dump my f80 in a heartbeat. The Z3M is a bit dated now and the S54 cars are a ton of money for what they are. The z4m is just plain ugly.
]
The E89 is a great GT car but maybe not a pure sports car - I think the closest to an M version is the SDrive 35IS.

I completely disagree on the Z4M. I think that car and the E85 / E86 in general looks great now and has since it was introduced. From some guy named Clarkson:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12948

“ The thing is, though: it did work with the Z4. This was a car that, quite simply, came too soon. Because now, when I see one, I think it’s a striking crisp and modern effort; much nicer to behold than the Mercedes SLK and a million times better than the push-me-pull-you Porsche Boxster.

So when I heard that BMW was going to let its motor sport division have a fiddle, it sounded like something truly wonderful would result. I love BMW’s M cars, and when I heard the Z4 was going to get the M3’s 3.2 litre straight six I was priapic with anticipation.

The best looking two-seater sports car with the best sporting engine of them all. Theoretically the best combination since someone said: “I wonder what cranberry juice would taste like if you put some vodka in it.”

Well, I’m sorry, but Bangle said that his influence for the Z4 was the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao. BMW had plainly had enough, so it booted its American whiz-kid upstairs, where he could do less harm. And that’s a pity, because it was at this exact moment that I realised that the “flame-surfaced” Z4 is just as striking and wonderful as the building that inspired it;

Then one day I arrived at the track to find, sitting in the early morning desert sunshine, a BMW Z4-M.”

From the original designer:

Last edited by Huz-Z; 12-22-2020 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
Law6377.00