View Single Post
      11-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #24
MPSdriver
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
O. Zipse: “The architecture and technical components of the iX are indeed fully ready for Level 3 autonomy where the driver no longer has to play an active role on certain routes. However, we have to take into account that we sell our cars all over the world and the legislation in this area varies quite a bit from country to country. In the United States, more is possible in this area than, for example, in Europe. Germany allows us to offer Level 3 autonomy at speeds up to 60 km / h, but it is not possible above that. Technologically we can handle more, but it may not be rolled out yet. In any case, a uniform European legislative framework would be very useful in that sense. ”
I'm afraid OEM future focus lies heavily on autonomous driving and I can't see that combine well with making (affordable) cars that are engaging to drive (on public roads).
I hope I'm wrong and I know it's not mutually exclusive but I feel we're already heading that way.

'The ultimate driving machine' has to become 'The ultimate machine to be driven in' or so it seems.
Appreciate 0