10-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #50
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Because it's a crap car. The motor is horrible, with a huge torque dip that no amount of tuning can fix. The steering isn't great, the interior isn't great, it has a clock from a 1987 Corolla. I've gone twice to buy one and just can't do it.

What would honestly be great is a return to the Z3. Rwd, manual, oh, who am I kidding, never happen, not from the BMW we have today.
Exactly my point. It's actually not a crap car is adored by many. Why do you think Top Gear is using one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I say no, it's because everyone wants a land yacht, they want 4 seats with lots of legroom, "oh I have to be able to take kids", they want a big trunk, they want lots of air conditioning, they want sunroofs, they want heated and cooled seats, they want auto transmissions, they want 20" wheels, and so on.

Even your own numbers point to the fact that it's not regulation, although as pointed out, the BRZ torque is really poor, they handicapped that car.

The 2-seat car can be built at the required weight just fine, it's just that no one wants a purely sports-car. Lots of people "say it", but they want it to cost 20-30K and be produced with economy of scale, not enough people are going to buy such a car with only enough room for 2 people and with such limited utility.

Hell, just fitting "americans" inside of the car requires massive overbuilt seats and cabin width...

And when you get that specialized and expensive, you might as well pony up for something faster and more capable, like a Cayman.

The days of the 914/6, Fiero, X 1/9, MR2 are not coming back, because no one wants it. You can buy a lightweight sports car, like a Lotus or a Morgan, you are just going to pay for it.

There absolutely is a market for an affordable sports car, it's just no one has the balls the build one, and every time they do, all people do is complain about everything - like the BRZ.
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50