View Single Post
      10-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #76
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Agreed 100% OP. I feel like I'm one of the only people I know who feel similarly. BMW used to be that brand that consistently offered engaging fun-to-drive vehicles throughout their entire portfolio, no matter how small the engine. The M2 seems to be the only vehicle left that preserves that philosophy. It's not exactly light weight, but at 3600 lbs and 400 hp it's quite the nimble and dramatic little car.

Over at Porsche even a Boxster S with premium pkg is over $80k these days. Gone are the days of a reasonably priced Boxster. So otherwise you're really just left with the Giulia, Corvette, and Supra, however the Giulia lacks a model in the M340 power/price range. It's either economy car engine or full on QF.

Things do not look good for enthusiasts. The general public only cares about straight line acceleration, screens/tech, and even moral smugness; all just for bragging rights. Governments are very clearly trying to legislate the ICE powertrain out of existence.

There is no way an EV can replicate the handling of a RWD 911 or mid-engined sports car. Their weight balance isn't the same, their actual curb weight is too high, the lack of noise kills any drama, and the lack of even flappy paddles removes you entirely from the experience. No thanks from me!
Appreciate 2
..Rush..973.50
Red Bread4463.00