BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Did you watch the end? They specifically stated that the Isetta while a hit did not save BMW from Bankruptcy and that if it wasn't an investment from a wealthy family that helped them build the Neue Klasse they would have went under.
The wealthy benefactor was Herbert Quandt whose family today still owns a near-majority share of BMW. And it was the 700 that he "felt" with his hands (as his vision was severely impaired) before he agreed to buy BMW out of the hands of Mercedes. It was a sound business decision based on pre-sold 700 units after being told the entire cost for the 700 launch was being taken as a one-year expense to cook to books and hasten the demise of BMW by the board. It was Quandt's money and the success of the 700 that saved BMW and gave them a revenue source that allowed them to develop the Neue Range cars.

I've spent many years without proper storage for nearly 20 BMWs and only now am I beginning to correct those wrongs with the new home and garage we built. But I'm still working a 50-hour-per-week job without much time to work on my own cars. One 1600 Cabrio is on jack stands in the main garage next to three motorcycles having a new braking system installed. The best 700 convertible is safely packed in another off-site one-car garage with four more motorcycles. All three Isettas are under a car port.

Nothing photogenic for you at this time! But this one is from when I had my own shop back in the last century:

And this from the Carlisle meet back in 2007:

Appreciate 0