View Single Post
      10-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #1059
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Here is the main difference between the 911S and the C8. You enjoy the 911 S all the time - on the track or going for grocery trips due to its race car inspire construction. You only get to enjoy the C8 when you're 10/10 on the track because its uncommunicative and less then inspired chassis. They say the C8 rides like a Rolls Royce but that's also its downfall since that's exactly how it feels just mowing around town while the 911S is orgasm induced just sitting in the garage :-)
I would assume the reverse, that the C8 is more enjoyable to drive on the street, where as it falls short on track at 10/10th due to its uncommunicative steering and brakes.

Personally, and this is just an observation, if track performance is low on the priority totem pole, the C8 is a much better overall car than the 992 once you factor in price/value. That they've come far enough to be able to compete head to head on quality and material against the best that ze Germans have to offer is quite an accomplishment, and for the vast bulk of the buyers, that may well be enough to sway.

For those that really value the last bit of performance PLUS refinement though, that's where cars like the 911 shine. You DO get what you paid for in that the 911 is more involved to drive because it does make you one with the car, where as the Corvette makes you one IN the car.

And that's somewhat true with my C7 as well. Dollar per performance, it's an insane value. And while the interior build quality and material is on par with my MZ4 Coupe, I can't help but look a the 13 year old Moupe and smile...It is a better car because it is so engaging to drive. Not that it is engaging because it is harder to drive, but the visceral response of the inline 6 with 8,000 revs per minute, the individual throttle bodies, the way it subtly tells you what each contact patch is doing, while doing what you tell it to do without jumping in and saying "nah, I got this..."

But on paper, the C7 Grand Sport is so far out of the league it's not even funny.

I WILL say this though. If my experience with GM and Chevy is any indication, the C8 may be great on paper, but most of that beauty is skin deep. Live with it for a week, a month, a year, and you start to question why GM does things a certain way, and understand why they were able to make the Chevy Bolt EV for $38,000 and mass produce it so much earlier than Tesla can with their Model 3. They cut a lot of corners in actual engineering, development, and material, and while it doesn't show up right away, you notice it eventually.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50