Thread: Running Shoes
View Single Post
      05-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #22
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

A few items to consider:

1. Go to a local reputable running store and have them figure out your foot anatomy and what style running shoe best supports your foot. They can tell your arch type and foot alignment and recommend the proper shoe to compensate. I can’t stress this enough, go to a store where runners go that sell ONLY running shoes – Big Box or national chains will not have the expertise to do this properly. Also buying and using a shoe because someone recommends there favorite IS NOT going to help you.

2. Insoles / inserts can work, and you DON'T need expensive custom made inserts from a Podiatrist. Research is overwhelmingly clear here, there’s not much difference between a $30 or $1000 custom inserts.

3. Along with proper running shoes, you really need to consider the following: dynamic stretching before your run, running style modifications, static stretching after you run, and targeted exercises. There’s a mountain of literature that explains this better than I can, but it’s a game changer. Here’s a great book that covers the stretching, exercises, and running modifications. This book saved my running: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my 30’s I started suffering pretty badly from shin splints and tight calves. It was nuts. Took me about 6 months to work through it all. Foot strike, knee alignment on strike, cadence, hip and torso rotation, leg back swing, how you swing your arms, back and neck posture, how you breath, etc. CAN ALL IMPACT the quality of your run. And making minor modifications in these areas can significantly alleviate common pains experienced by runners. Something else that is rarely mentioned / taboo: weight loss. Ten extra pounds can literally be hundreds of pounds on your knees and back. Weight has an extreme multiplier effect that is exacerbated when you run. If you're on the heavier side, it may be beneficial to lose weight BEFORE you start running.

CLIFF NOTES: Proper footwear, stretching, exercises, running style modifications, and weight loss can go a long way.

Last edited by Manny01; 05-23-2022 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 4
chassis6554.00
rebekahb3132.50
s52pwr3.00
cvstar9M3284.00