Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
GT category cars are supposed to be based off of a production chassis/engine combo anyway.
Still the z4 gt3 chassis was vastly different. For example it used front/rear dual wishbone suspension, where the z4 did not. Thats an extreme difference.

Quote:
For them to skip the E89 was a missed opportunity.
They made that decision when they opted for an x3 style rear axle, so that decision was already made very very early in the designprocess of the e89.
Yea and they also created a fixed hardtop, essentially turning the E89 GT3 into a coupe.

We can list all the differences between GT category cars and their "street" counterparts.
They're not the same, but homologation is homologation.
Every other manufacturer at the time built a street version of what they were racing. Otherwise, Ferrari would just enter racing with their 458 with a V12 engine. That's not really good sportsmanship, but that's kind of what BMW did here.

The X3 elements are new to me. I didn't know that.
But given what we know about BMW M, there's no doubt in my mind that they have the prowess and know-how to transform the "base" E89 chassis into one that meets the performance envelope.
The ancient Z3 M suspension wasn't exactly great either but look at how much they are loved regardless.
Hell, they turn SAVs into M trucks now.
And the F30 chassis that gets called "boring" and "numb" gets massaged by M into the F80, the most agile in its class.
I have no doubt in my mind if BMW AG gave the OK, that M GmbH would've done something great here.

Look, I get what you're saying.
But you're reading too much into this.

It's hard to argue that an S65 Z4 M would've been anything but a star in BMW's lineup.
It would've also made sense marketing-wise since they were also racing a "souped up version" of that theoretical V8 Z4 M.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0