View Single Post
      04-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
I don't think I'd care either way. They make some beautiful cars, but they're so not relevant to my life---and the life of 99% of the population---that it wouldn't be a real loss if they went away. Their products are all derivative of the MP4-12c, so frankly, I'm not really that impressed with what they're bringing to the table. They need more diversity in their lineup, IMO.
I get where you're coming from but disagree, even for the 99% of public that will never get close to owning one of these. Why?

Diversity in the industry is a good thing. McLaren has a wildly different approach and model than the Ferraris (Fiat) and Lamborghinis (VW) of the supercar world. What they bring to the table, R+D, brand positioning etc. keeps the entire market place competitive and they are simply good for the automotive industry.

Their lack of model range is actually what many folks love about them. They focus on doing 1-2 models really really well and then have their halo cars (P1, Senna, SpeedTail, etc. which funnels more R+D back into the next 1-2 "mainstream" models.

Sure, Porsche etc. have a more diverse range but does having a Macan, Cayenne, and 13345387 versions of the 911 and Cayman really make you more impressive?

A world where only BMW, Daimler, VW etc. own all the brands will get very very boring and dilute the fun for everyone. Hell, look at what's happening with Porsche now...the new 992 911 is very "Audi-fied" in terms of keeping things homogenous across lines.