United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I'm old so I've been driving since 1983. In that time, I've owned 29 vehicles; eleven manuals and 18 autos. The manuals have been everything from a "three on the tree" to modern 6 spds and the autos have been everything from a two speed powerglide to a ZF8. I have driven my 6 spd daily driver for the past 18 years. In addition to those vehicles I've owned, ridden and raced 41 motorcycles, all of which were standard transmissions.

My take on all this is that I do understand the allure and nostalgia for the manual and I think their dissappearance is sad. .....but while it's sad, it's also understandable - automatic transmissions have changed drastically since the 2 spd in my 1967 Cutlass while manuals are mostly the same as the 4spd in my 1979 Z28....albeit with another gear or two.

I won't argue against the "fun factor" of a manual - I'm well aware.....but frankly, I don't miss the clutch when I'm driving the Z4. Maybe I'd feel differently if I didn't currently own 6 other motor vehicles with standard transmissions.

The argument that a current 8 speed, paddle shifted auto or DCT isn't a "real" sportscar is a load of BS IMO and some of the best cars on the planet don't offer a manual.....but I can find no fault in those that still want to "row their own".

As far as the Z4 goes, I have zero interest in a 4cyl Z4 regardless of transmission.

2 cents,
Dave
I agree with most of what you said. I am even older, since I have had my license since 1962. Most of what I have owned has had a manual
transmission. In fact, when I ordered my M4, it had to be a 6MT as there was no way that I wanted a DCT. I was very disappointed that I could not order a 6MT in the Z4, but I am very surprised. I like the Z8F a lot and like you, I really don't miss the clutch when I am driving it. For me, driving in Sport and accelerating so fast that the shifts sound like a F1 car is exhilarating. Like you, I have no desire to have this car with a 4cyl so I can have a 6MT.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1