View Single Post
      09-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #1336
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Since we found out that the new 8 actually wasn't a coupé 7 but more like a new 6 in terms of philosophy and dimensions, therefore technically related to the 5 although branded as 8, it seemed pretty predictable that the 8's engine range wouldn't mimic the 7's (regular non-M Performance V8 750i, M Performance V12 M760i) but rather the 5's (M Performance V8 M550i, V8 M5, no V12).
I didn't expect that at all. I expected an 840i, 850i and M8, just as ynguldyn had been saying. So, similar to the 7 Series, except there is a true M vehicle (M8) instead of an M Performance vehicle (M860i). Why not both an M vehicle and M Performance vehicle like the 1 through 6 Series will feature (well, perhaps not the 6)? Well, I'd venture to guess that BMW did their homework and found that the existence of the M8 would make an M860i superfluous from a customer interest perspective.

Quote:
However if the new info turns out to be true regarding the non-M V8 powered 8 Series being marketed as simply 850i, not M850i as expected, and yet have 'well over 500hp' which is notably more than the M Performance M550i..
This is simply the normal progression of things. The 750i, M550i, M650i, X5 M50i, and X6 M50i will no doubt get more power eventually as well. Perhaps not as much as the 850i, but they will no doubt see increases over their lifespans.

Quote:
...then it suddenly becomes plausible that the 8's engine range in the end will resemble the 7's, as it logically should, meaning a non-M Performance V8 850i and potentially an M Performance V12 M860i, with the addition of a V8 M8. To support this claim, BMW seems to want to endow every model in its range with the M Performance version and it would be strange to say the least if the flagship 8 didn't have such a version, and if it's not the V8 (850i instead of M850i) than it must be the V12 (M860i). Does the V12 fit under the 8's hood though?
I disagree.

First off, I don't think it is any more strange for there not to be an M860i than it is strange that there is not an M7. Secondly, there is yet the opportunity for an M860e with V8 + eDrive.

You almost surely won't see a V12 X7, and similarly I don't think there is much chance for a V12 8 Series. The question is, what will the X7 do with no flagship? Well, this might be the perfect vehicle to introduce this theoretical M*60e drivetrain, no? Seems like a great opportunity to me. We'll see what they have in store.
Appreciate 0