11-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #49
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpTXX5 View Post
I think the rub is this seems to be some unexplainable situation of the math not adding up all at the tax payers expense.

Let's compare to the free market, if a lawyer, doctor, accountant etc. knowingly over-billed with the intent to defraud they would be going to jail.

I am not arguing whether being a first responder is a noble and important job, I just don't see how the OT math adds up as has been pointed out previously. More importantly it smells of government mismanagement of tax payer funds
Several prior posts mention ways that "the math adds up" differently than you think. I don't know how CA does this, but I'll trust he isn't defrauding anybody and is getting this legit. I kind of think part of this is that this is 'just a firefighter' and not some overpaid professional. I know that as far as doctors, at the last hospital I worked at, every time an attending got called in, they were paid 4hrs OT. For each call. So if you got paged 10 times to the ED in a shift (not uncommon), you got 40hrs OT for the night. And you could be napping in a call room in between, or even there in the ED already seeing another patient. That isn't considered fraud, but it earns a lot more than 360k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpTXX5 View Post
I think the rub is this seems to be some unexplainable situation of the math not adding up all at the tax payers expense.

Let's compare to the free market, if a lawyer, doctor, accountant etc. knowingly over-billed with the intent to defraud they would be going to jail.

I am not arguing whether being a first responder is a noble and important job, I just don't see how the OT math adds up as has been pointed out previously. More importantly it smells of government mismanagement of tax payer funds
Several prior posts mention ways that "the math adds up" differently than you think. I don't know how CA does this, but I'll trust he isn't defrauding anybody and is getting this legit. I kind of think part of this is that this is 'just a firefighter' and not some overpaid professional. I know that as far as doctors, at the last hospital I worked at, every time an attending got called in, they were paid 4hrs OT. For each call. So if you got paged 10 times to the ED in a shift (not uncommon), you got 40hrs OT for the night. And you could be napping in a call room in between, or even there in the ED already seeing another patient. That isn't considered fraud, but it earns a lot more than 360k.
I seemed to have missed the post that specifically calculated how this fire fighter obtained that much pay/OT through a reasonable manner. I see a lot of speculation and conjuncture but no specific formula. If you can educate me on it than even more the better.

My argument isn't that a profession that is an in "on call" status shouldn't be paid for or compensated in some way for those hours that they were "at the ready". Whether a doctor, lawyer, plumber or fire fighter if they are expected to be at the ready they should be compensated for those hours they could have been committed to off hour activities they choose.

To close, compensation whether a lawyer, doctor, fire fighter, real estate agent or cashier is what the market dictates. If you feel passionate that a Fire Fighter in your market should make 300k+ please discuss this with others in your community/city in order to raise taxes and/or cut other government spending to compensate. If you get enough support you may just get what you wanted.
Appreciate 0