View Single Post
      12-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #41
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
This is my area of professional expertise, so I'll chime in...

Considering it sounds like you have a fairly bright room, an OLED display doesn't sound like the best option. However I will add that if off-axis (sitting your the side) performance is important an OLED could be the way to go.

OLED's two advantages are contrast/black level, and off-axis performance. This comes at a significant cost though... OLEDs struggle to achieve modern levels of brightness. This can be a major hinderance in a bright room, or when watching High Dynamic Range (or eventually Hybrid Log Gamma) content.

Personally, I find most rooms without an ability to control ambient light are better served by an LCD display. While these displays can't achieve the deepest blacks like an OLED; they make up for it (at least in a lit room) with brightness.

Car guys can think of panel brightness like a car's horsepower. OLED displays are akin to a lightweight car with low horsepower. These are great for light controlled rooms, or off-axis seating positions. LCD displays are more balanced performers with power o n tap. This power is very beneficial in a lit room and with HDR/HLG content. This is VERY apparent when you put an OLED and LCD display next to one another and play a bright scene.

My strong recommendation for those not getting their display professionally calibrated, is to buy a SONY XBR. They have the strongest out-the-box performance. Just select Cinema Home or Cinema Pro video presets. They're actually pretty good.

Samsung makes a good set too. Their strong point is color reproduction. I do really like their better QLED displays... The have great "color volume." This means their colors stay vibrant even at the highest brightness levels. Samsung kinda reminds me of a Porsche GT car than can be hammered and not have performance drop off as it gets hot. I'm just not personally a big fan of how they handle motion (although some differ); and I'm not the biggest fan of the smart tv platform.

Cost not an issue, I'd buy a SONY Z9G.
So what are your thoughts on Samsung not supporting Dolby Vision? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the Q80.
Appreciate 0