05-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
It doesn't sound like it's about fines, it sounds like it's about empirical research:

https://www.cycleworld.com/g00/2015/...s-rider-saftey
I'll read the article later. My point is as a pedestrian or motorcyclist, if you rely on the car/truck avoiding you because the motivation for the driver is a monetary fine, then that is the wrong thought process. Since Force = Mass x Acceleration, the pedestrian or motorcyclist ALWAYS loses in that equation; so the idea is to avoid the Mass, not to expect the Mass to avoid you. If you avoid the Mass, the Force or Acceleration are essentially zero (0). Like I said, it is a simple physics problem.

On the East Coast where lane splitting is illegal, motorcyclists are taught to place the bike in a position and mode that provides an escape to avoid being rear ended, or hit from any direction.

The problem with the OP learning to ride a motorcycle as a novice and then immediately take advantage of the lane splitting laws in Cali, sets him up for injury since nothing is perfect and it takes years of learning to competently control a motorcycle. I learned at a young age on the dirt, and had several years of driving under my belt (some as a courier in Washington DC) before I got my first street bike at 21. The critical point to understand about motorcycling on the street is your attitude about and control of traffic is completely different than driving in a car. Trying to learn the motorcycle AND approach to traffic control, is a very tall order for anyone, regardless of their aptitude.
Appreciate 2