View Single Post
      08-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #27
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
99% @ 40 microns is 30 to 40% (if that) at 20 microns.

But the question is: does that matter?

Like I said in a previous post: not 100% of the oil is passed through the filter per pumpcycle. There is a bypass that is always open.
And the difference in rate of oil that chooses the filter or the bypass is made on pressure.
So for example pressure difference over the filter by a certain flowrate, temperature and oil weight is a key factor.
How much info gives fram about that? (or any other oil filter manufacturer)
Exactly: NOTHING.
So deciding if somethings better or not based on 1 parameter in a system where performance is maybe a combination of 10 or 100 or whatever parameters makes no sense.

I'm sure that Fram filter is very good, but saying its better than OEM or a mann filter or whatever is not a fact imho;
if you look at it from an engineering perspective, way too little information is given to say anything about it.

Same goes for that wear table index from that research given in the link in the TS. So they came up with some figures.
Sadly they dont tell what they exactly did and in what way that is representative for normal driving conditions.
The lack of real information and description etc says to me its marketing and nothing else. And thats not something one should buy into.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-09-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0