jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
AND a standardized way to meter the charging so that it can be sale-able. That's easily figured out. What's not is the standardization of charging load, optimization, and repeatability from site to site across a country that has severe (and that's putting it mildly) infrastructure issues in its electrical grid as it is.
Gas prices are not standardized across the country, why should it be for an EV? Prices will be determined by the market: supply and demand. The electrical grid will be the new highways of transportation of energy, much like the physical highways that contain tanker trucks of fuel that deliver gasoline to all parts of the country. The increasing use of on-site solar panels instead of farms, will lead to less dependence to the regional grids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
China, as many of us know, is moving to electrify its vehicles at as fast a pace as any country. That country faces many of the same issues that the U.S. does, such as use-able range and consumer cost, while dealing with much worse infrastructure inequalities, particularly in rural areas between cities old and new. Thing is, China has the capital to invest in this infrastructure to make it happen quickly. The U.S. doesn't -- heck, it's $20 trillion in debt.

That last fact is a big reason why I personally don't believe EVs will be a majority in the U.S. for at least the next generation, if not longer if fossil fuel or ICE-fuel alternatives hold out. It'll work for city dwellers. It'll work for most trucking companies. It'll work for those with per-capita income above the U.S.' median. It'll work for most of the white-collar work force. It won't work for much of the remainder.
FOR NOW. The same thing could have been said about the automobile when it first arrived.
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i