It's really more about what you should avoid than what you should get. Avoid:
-turbos
-all wheel drive
-V8s
-automatic transmissions
-direct injection
-iDrive
-air suspension

A non M e36 is a stinking good time, easy/cheap to maintain, and you can get a really nice one for $4000.

An e39 530i 5mt is in budget and a better driving experience than anything BMW makes today.

You should never go to the dealer with whatever can you get (or any car post warranty), and you'll have a better experience if you enjoy working on your own cars (which is far easier on everything pre e9X than post e9X).

After ~100,000 miles, mileage becomes somewhat irrelevant-- becomes more dependent on when the last time things were replaced. e.g. most bushings are worn out at ~100,000 miles. If they're still worn out at 150,000 miles, you're not really any worse off.

... you might find you like your F30 less after you get used to the dynamics of an older BMW
Agree with all the above. In my experience though, the automatics in the E85 Z4 (2003 - 2008) are solid. Go for the 3.0 litre (3.0i for 2003, 4 and 5 or 3.0si for 2006, 7 and 8) if available. The one major Achilles heel with these cars is the power top motor. If you get one and the top is working properly, check zpost.com for how to clear the roof drains to minimize the chance of flooding and killing the motor. And NEVER power wash the car for the same reason. I always hand-wash mine with a garden hose at low pressure and avoid spraying water at the canvas top / car body interface.

There is a guy in my town with an early E85 Z4 3.0i (2005 or earlier) in grey with the style 107 (I think) ellipsoid rims. The thing looks simply amazing. Perhaps I'm partial to the style as I own an E85 myself, but I think it makes the current Z4 look like it was hacked out of a chunk of wood with an axe on a Monday morning by a guy with a hangover. The E85 looks mean to this day and has more graceful curves than Abigail Ratchford.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 10-02-2019 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0