United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Agree here too.

Plus, let’s also not forget that there’s Alcantara (the branded stuff) and then there’s “alcantara”. They are worlds apart in my experience. Think Mercedes Dinamica, which is alcantara like material but not Alcantara. While it largely looks and feels the part, it’s not the same in term of durability, quality, and so on.

Personally, I don’t particularly like the all Alcantara interiors like the Pista, where everything is swathed in it. There, it looks cheap. I prefer a mix of leather and Alcantara to make a mix of textures. Also Alcantara doesn’t get a hot in the summer nor as cold in the winter.
Alcantara is just a brand name of synthetic suede, like Michelin is a brand name of tire. Over the years I've had real Alcantara (my buddy's Fiat X1-9 had it in 1988), and I've had many fakes, and sometimes the fakes are better than the original. The problem is that you never know how it's going to be until it's too late. A lot of the old Ferrari stuff was trash, as was Ferrari back in the 80's. Some of the Aston stuff is off the charts good, better than the quality of the entire car. Audi was one of the founders of the stuff, so theirs is fantastic as well.
Appreciate 0