03-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #448
wpTXX5
Rep
Drives: XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
How many lives could be saved from automotive accidents if we mandated that everyone in a vehicle is required to wear a helmet? However, we as a society have decided that wearing a helmet is too burdensome. We accept the risk and inevitable deaths that occur from letting people be in vehicles without a helmet.

To me- this massive government imposition (read: concern for health) has to be weighed against the economic and social cost. It isn't a 100% one-way or the other situation. Both have to be considered and allowed for.
Not really comparable. People dying in cars doesn't cause others to die in cars. It's an isolated incident (don't argue multi-car accidents etc. - you know what I mean). If each fatal accident on the road meant that 3 other cars on that road at that time would also crash and kill their occupants within 2 weeks, then I would agree.

I was just discussing this with the guys who were installing my garage. There's 2 of them. They're not hugging all day - they keep a distance, as did I when talking to them. They should be able to continue working as they present little danger, but they're considered non-essential, so will be fired. So they'll go on government unemployment costing the government money, and it's going to cost their business owner money in lost income for 3+ weeks - a lose lose basically, and I don't think they have done anything to increase public safety. But at the same time, the city (or county) don't have to time or resources to look at every business and say "you can keep working like that - but you can't - you can, you can't" - just not feasible. So the respective governments have to make blanket decisions as they see best.

I think I read that Philadelphia made a call in 1918 - a bad one. Nobody wants to make those any more, so best to err on the side of caution.

But - like the Y2K issue - because we addressed it and resolved 99% of issues, many people believe it was a farce because nothing happened. Same will happen here - in 3 weeks time if the virus declines many will actually argue that it was all unnecessary and just a scare tactic - but they can't see the bigger picture. Small thinkers with a narrow view.
Y2K was a farce...the electrical/municipality utilities had the rollover of numbers figured out long before year 2000. Ask anyone that was in the industry including me.
Appreciate 0