View Single Post
      12-22-2023, 11:52 AM   #35
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
In a surprising change of plans, we no longer have fiber at our new construction out in the woods like we thought. While they did in fact run the fiber along with the underground electric, I found out that it is not connected to the fiber infrastructure. It is ran from the beginning of my lot and probably a half a mile in… but not actually connected to anything. They say it may be another couple years before they have that in place. Nice that it is future proofed, but not exactly what I was expecting when they told me they ran fiber

Reviving the thread almost two years later - anyone running it care to give feedback? 5G is a no go and other options are less than desirable. I like the idea of Starlink, but I’m not impressed with the vague descriptions and tiered offerings that seemingly are only in place to mitigate their lack of commitment to deliverables (Priority). Would love to hear from some actual users.

I’m home-based with Microsoft Teams calls/video/screen sharing a constant. A couple TVs will be streaming something throughout the day with wife/kids. No time for games, so I really don’t think that level of speed/latency is a driver. Just looking for consistent and no surprise bandwidth throttling. Relatively rural.
i switched from verizon 5g to starlink for my jobsite and its been great so far for us. good speed, enough for ~10 guys to all be on a computer uploading and downloading stuff to our server plus 30 or so guys on their phones on the wifi during breaks, no issue with video calls or anything like that. No downtime for the last 7 months. Install was super easy. Just mounted the dish to a wood stand we made and started the app and it runs you through everything.

if you cant get a fiber connection, its a pretty solid option. i believe you are able to use their app/website to make sure it will work in your location.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1