View Single Post
      10-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I was just texting with my ex-boss today. He retired a couple of years ago. One thing we share in common is we're both married to younger women. My wife is 10 years younger and enjoys her job, so she'll work probably another 10 years at least. I'm hoping to retire in 5 years or so. I mentioned to my ex-boss today that I've been wondering what I'll do when I retire and my wife is still working. We're in very good financial shape and have no kids, so I *could* do some traveling on my own. But running off and leaving her with all the household duties won't be an easy sell (and frankly, I wouldn't blame her). He replied that retiring well before your wife is not as good as he thought it would be. I suspect he's not filling his days well. I'm worried I'll fall into the same trap. Not a lot of options out here in the boonies.

Then, of course, there's that constant worry about the markets. I won't come anywhere near maxing out my pension because I got into the system way late, so I'm counting on my supplemental retirement plan (403B) to cover the rest. Always a question of when to make the move to low risk/low yield for security.

I'm a good bit older than the OP, but if I were considering retirement at age 55 I'd want a pretty good idea of what I'd do to fill up what could be another 40 years or more (although since he has kids, that would change things a bit). I hope to travel a lot, but who knows how much that will be possible.

As I've always done, I guess I'll just wait and see where I'm at when the time comes. Knowing what other folks do in this situation is helpful and food for thought, but it hardly ever relates to my circumstances. Still, a worthy discussion.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0