12-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #94
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
You know the Euro E36 despite having an incredible engine, was castigated over the pond for not having good steering and lacking involvement (not to mention visual pizzazz). It is considered a far less accomplished generation than the E30 or the E46, with the only redeeming quality being the Euro engine, which we didn’t get in the US. In other words, no redeeming quality for the US version.

So I guess it depends on your perspective.

I wouldn’t object to a car that’s lighter and has more power than the F80, but I absolutely do not want something bigger. And just incrementally better may not be special enough. Maybe it will be time to go way different: M2, or Vette, or Porsche - we’ll see.
I didn't realize the Euro reviews didn't appreciate the E36 handling...the US reviews ranked it very highly.

Drive one now 20 years later and compare the steering feel to most of the crap thats out there now and it makes you wonder why anyone would bother buying a new car.

Ironically I have a 2017 530i, and its incredibly dull to drive. I bought it purely for the comfortable seats because of a back issue i've got. Man I wish that thing was even slightly more engaging. If the steering was closer to my old E90 i'd be happy
Appreciate 0