12-03-2023, 10:13 PM   #34
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'm clearly a bit of an oddball here as I DESPISE all the modern tech (my cars are MY2008 and MY2009) but I am fine with an auto that allows me to select gears.

Someone above mentioned something like "all you're not doing is using your left leg" and TBh that's how i have always felt. My primary concern is, can I select what gear i want, whenever i want? And the answer is yes. I still feel in control of the car, I just don't need to use my left leg. I guess the only thing missing is that perfect rev-match and simultaneous perfect throw into the next gear down, but I don't miss it that much.
Pushing a button (whether it's a paddle or a knob) is nowhere near the same feeling as downshifting on a manual. That's like trying to convince me condom sex is better or equal to no condom.

Now traffic sure, fine, if it was my daily driver and I spent all day in traffic I would have an automatic. If I just drag race from light to light and every second matters, fine get an automatic. Maybe at the track where you are already driving at your limit... fine. However there is no scenario I can imagine where going out for a drive for the pure pleasure of driving is better in an automatic.
Appreciate 0