View Single Post
      11-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
I'd say a mix of both. The top guys are always looking for the next big thing to try out in terms of paths or lines down valleys/mountain faces.
And the suit design has been evolving to get more lift/speed from this semi-rigid 'glider' (semi-rigid as the suits get pressurized through air vents to the point you can't collapse your arm/leg wings in some cases)

But the glide efficiency has always been rather rubbish compared to say, a fixed-wing aircraft, due to the small size of the suits (and humans) when compared to even a small aircraft.

For some, this offers an out in terms of thrust (which was not possible before - other than just diving down / getting steeper to pick up speed to translate into lift) - so that definitely makes it more accessible to more people (with a little safety cushion... hit the power to clear the rock face)
But that will also have people trying more risky stuff to push the envelope even more so.

Having said that, I'd love to get my hands on this
Well, I guess I'm just getting old because I'm not into this kind of risk taking anymore.
Appreciate 0