03-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #70
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
That'd be a MkIV, which had a few quality quirks -- brittle window regulators, for one. I had to replace one on my '02 when the passenger-side window wouldn't go back up ...

... but that's the only major thing that went wrong on that car, which was chipped, cat-backed, bedazzled with self-installed VDO gauges, and had an upgraded stereo, among other things.

Mine was made in Brazil. Some MkIVs were still made in Germany; It tended to be those that had issues. Sorry yours did, but overall the MkIV was not a terrible car by any stretch -- it was the MkIII that had the severe quality issues that compelled VW to begin righting its ship with the MkIV and concurrent Jettas and Passats.

(BTW, worse car I owned: 2004 Jeep Liberty. HATED it. Glad it was stolen, though the '05 Wrangler that replaced it wasn't much better. At least that had some, uh, 'character' ... )
Appreciate 0