View Single Post
      10-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #42
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Well said: when people say retiring, do they mean from the daily grind so they can pivot to doing something they enjoy? If I really enjoy what I do today, do I need to retire?

I've always thought of retiring as the guy who plays golf all day and sits around reading his newspaper on the front porch. That will never be me...
I like my job for the most part, but I wouldn't hesitate to quit if I have the option. I play competitive volleyball (a passion for me) which is severely limited by my work schedule, I like to attend my kids activities, I want to modify a third fun car for SCCA and compete, I like working on my cars and friends cars, I like doing home improvement, I like doing yard work, I like fixing things, I like to travel and want to travel the country and world for months on end, I like to bike, I like to have long lunches at restaurants, I like to cook, etc. etc. etc. I have plenty of things I do outside of work that would fill the void and I could do more of it.

I could not imagine working into my late 50s or beyond. My job can be high stress as I support mergers and acquisitions. My work schedule is largely defined by my client's diligence/bid/deal window. I've worked countless nights well past 2am, have had meeting calls at 1am with clients in China, worked lots of weekends, spent way too much time in airports, etc. As I continue to move up the ladder, the pay increases but things only get worse from a time management standpoint and stress level.

I understand some people absolutely love their jobs, are extremely driven in their field, and couldn't imagine not working. I work with lots of people like that. That's not me though. I have way too interests outside of work. My career doesn't define who I am.