E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
In the BBC post show Forum they talked about it a little and DC mentioned there is no way for Ferrari to bypass the safeguards.

I call Bullshit. It's their car, I can guarantee they could bypass whatever they like. And since the DRS is only activated by physically pushing a button, not just software that autokicks it on when allowed.

It wasn't really used in a manor that gave them a benefit unless it happened multiple times in the race though.
there's no such thing as "no way"...if Ferrari is desperate to do it...they can!
I'm not saying the team intentionally do it on purpose in this case, but any electronics can have errors and overrides.

I'd guess with the amount of buttons on the car, its not impossible that Fernando was trying to press the KERS button but accidently pressed the DRS button. Somehow the system recognized it was within the DRS zone and allowed the flaps to open.

Maybe it was because that part of the track (between turn 15 and 16), was "close" to the long straight in opposite direction. Thus the GPS used (depends on the accuracy, but I doubt it) read and believe the car was on the back straight and allowed the DRS to open.

This was just one speculation. Maybe the system was flawed already given they allowed the drivers to used whenever they want during Practice sessions and Qualifying. There might be something happened when they switch from Friday-Sat to Sunday Race system.