View Single Post
      02-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #105
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Just remembered another dicey drive....

First time going to the Big Island of Hawaii my wife and I took a drive from Kona to Mauna Kea, the dormant volcano that is one of the world's premier places to gaze at the stars.

Fun fact: Mauna Kea is 4,207 meters (13,803 feet) above sea level but when including its underwater base, it's the highest mountain in the world at 10,211 meters (33,500 feet).

There's a small, winding road that leads from highway 200 (aka Saddle Road) up to a mid-level observatory called "Onizuka Center for International Astronomy". All I can say is that it is well worth the trip up there because it's the most gorgeous view of the stars I have ever seen in my life. It's pitch black on the way up and down that meandering road (Mauna Kea Access Rd.) and its purposeful as to not disturb the hobbyists and astronomers gazing into the universe.

Anyway, the return trip down that access road was scary as shit. It got so foggy all of a sudden we couldn't see more than a few feet in front of us, including any other vehicles that were in front of us. I've driven in foggy conditions but this scared the shit out of me. I didn't know the road and it's high up so it added to the pulse racing vibe. On the way up it was crystal clear, the return? Not so much. It was just an eerie feeling that I rarely experienced while driving.

I highly recommend going to this place if given the chance. Outstanding.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
EricVR4603.50
jmg18657.00