07-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #215
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
I wouldn’t call it mixing it up with midfield. But I get your point. I think they have progressed in so far as maybe they aren’t dead last. Looks like there will be a battle of the worst. Between Williams, Alpha Romeo, and Haas. But that should be sort of interesting to follow. They still suck, but maybe not as much- and some other teams now suck almost as much. I will say Latifi ain’t going to make it to week three if he doesn’t do better. But maybe he’s a pay driver, not sure, I don’t know much about him. But he looks god awful.
He's pretty much a pay driver. Both seats at Williams have been open to the highest bidder for a while now. Latifi's father is actually even richer than the Stroll family and, interestingly, invested £200 million in McLaren back in 2018. So he got the seat because he offered the most cash for it.

That being said, he did finish runner up in F2 last year so he does have some skill. And he did start his racing career much later than some of the other guys in F1. But his list of junior formula career achievements isn't as good as Russel's or LeClerc's and he isn't backed by any of the manufacturers in F1 like Russel or Ocon. Here's good short video on Latifi if you want to get an idea who the guy is:

Appreciate 5
fanatic11018.50
yco5761.50
M5Rick60985.50
iamwingman1203.50