07-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #30
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91WAG3N View Post
Great feedback and opinions here! I worked at a BMW store and later a VW/Audi dealer in the early 2000's but haven't driven much in the way of new metal in the last 10 or so years.

I agree with folks saying an E61 is likely too long in the tooth at this point (and yes we did get the 530 variant for a year or two, but they're few and far between). The MB R-van is an option I hadn't considered but is of the same vintage as the E61. I had my E36 M3 for 8 years and I'm looking for a family hauler that will be around for just as long. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time once I'm settled; 150k miles is probably not a good starting point. Build quality and driving enjoyment are at the top of my list after safety for my kids. I can't wrap my head around needing a multi-ton vehicle to hold 100 lbs worth of kids. As long as the kids are in safe and tested car seats that are installed properly, I feel much better off in a vehicle that can handle and brake properly compared to an SUV with drink coasters for brakes.

We've huffed 2 babies and toddlers out of an E91 without issue for a few years now. Before that we had an E92 and E82 when it was just our oldest so I'm not really sold on the *need* to have an SUV or van to haul kids after 5 years with wagons and coupes. Luckily rear leg room on one side is a non-issue since my wife is 5'1".

The automatic E91 seems like it would collect dust if we bought a 3rd vehicle so I want to make sure we get something engaging to drive. Cost/space isn't an issue but given the COVID situation and that I am the only one with a commute, well had a commute... it would make sense to move on from one of the E91s and eventually replace it with something analog that's fun to drive. This last 6 months is the first time we've been down to 2 cars since we met 10 years ago.

Once COVID settles down, I think we'll Turo a few of the options or set up overnight test drives. As long as the E Class wagon doesn't drive like a complete dog, it seems to check the most boxes. A Macan does as well, but we'd have to see how much leg room is in play for the rear driver's side. There's no rush to make a purchase but I usually take a long time to make a car selection. For now we can take both vehicles if we want to go somewhere but given the current situation that won't happen much. Rarity of a vehicle doesn't phase me, it took me well over a year to find my 6MT E91.

Some proof of the 3 wide setups -

Macan:

Mercedes W212 Sedan, not wagon but same seat dimensions

Keep the comments coming and have a great holiday weekend everyone!
You're gonna get a Macan then, the W/S212 E-Class while it isn't a dog, will not be engaging. The E350's are tried and true Mercedes, meaning comfortable and quiet cruisers, but not engaging or relatively "fun," and coming from an E-chassis BMW won't help your case. While it does benefit from sedan handling and a lower center of gravity than an SUV, Mercedes didn't really design that car to be fun unless you go full on AMG. Macan is like a hot hatch on stilts and feels very much engaging, however I do think you should bring three carseats to the dealer before purchasing and try it out. I still think maybe a CPO Cayenne would be much better in your situation.
E91WAG3N1247.50