View Single Post
      12-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #107
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

This thread reminded me of this:

I think there are two or more camps here. First off it may serve you well if you're an isolate or need something from it... club information, event dates, finding friends or even, part of your job.

Then you have the... privacy concerns, negative press, sick of people posting how good their life is in the Hamptons...

My profile was hacked.. not in the good way either. Whenever I posted there was almost always someone who took offence. I felt like it became political and people were trying to outdo others or call them out. Couldn't express myself then thought it's too much information. Someone somewhere has a massive digital footprint on me. Like they own me. My life. My photos. My messages. The final straw was when my uncle died in an auto accident. I posted I missed him on his wall. The family turned on me and said I was not respecting their grief. He was my dad's brother and I was probably closer to him than his own kids who came out of the woodwork. There was always some drama on there.

Anyhow, then I started meditating and taking an e-diet. I set a cut off of 1 hour on the phone and eventually deleted FB. Fortunately at the time I was also in a job where social media presence was frowned upon and discouraged. Even Linked In which can seem like a more adult version of Facebook. This BMW forum is the only presence I have online. I've been trolled, stalked, but I hit block and... most folks seem nice otherwise.

Bottom line. Self care. Self respect. If it serves you in some shape or form then keep it. If you need a break it's okay to dip your toes in and out. Like hitting delete which is the adult equivalent to running away from home is my guess. If it's bringing you down is it worth it? If you've had enough then put your hours elsewhere. Learn bass guitar. Teach your daughter to drive stick. Play ball with your son. The hours it freed up!!! I took up detailing cars, DIY and cooking. I make a mean steak. Neighbors ask me for DIY advice. Real people real talk and I'd started to miss that from behind a screen.

I don't spend more than an hour here several days a week. It's working so far although it's been a bit quiet here lately.
Appreciate 3