01-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #65
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
a preference for natural aspiration is not just about sound

it's also about the immediacy of the experience...feeling connected to all the controls of the car including the throttle

turbos take away from connection...they create a barrier between the driver's input and the car's response...a lag

Porsche GT cars are aimed at maximizing the connection between the driver and the car

this is why GT cars have NA engines and why I for one will always prefer NA engines
I find that's not really the case these days, "lag" is throttle mapping and auto-transmissions, not engines that develop full torque at 1500rpm flat to redline. While there's a microsecond of spool-up, driving these cars around in their sport/sport+ or whatever equivalent setting resets the mapping and you say "oh, wow, it's pretty responsive". The NA engines that you have to rev up to 5-6K to build significant torque are going to also "lag" at lower RPMs when trying to accelerate. You'll have to shift and build some RPMs. That's normal for most engines, save some monster torque-machines that use big displacement or again, FI, to provide more torque at lower RPM. I think you'd have more of a point if you were arguing about some massive-lag turbo that only starts to spool at 3K rpm, creating the frustrating driving situation where you either drive around at 4-5K all the time, or have to downshift to do anything. These are no longer the 930 days and turbo tech is pretty advanced now. I just don't see this as a valid argument anymore. The reason most cars at "laggy" IME is throttle mapping and transmissions, comparing to the ones that are not.