Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
There were huge amounts of complaints when Toyota/BMW built a car as the Toyota seemed to be mostly BMW but selling it through both companies and sharing development got it on the showroom. Now Nissan goes completely by themselves but the end result is not really a new car but instead parts off lots of other cars, same chassis with close to the same base chassis/mounting points, modified interior.
Toyota got flack because they have the financial means to do it properly, but didn't, at least that's my view. Would it have been as good as what we got had Toyota soldiered alone? Who knows, as current Toyota has had its high points (LFA), and low points (RCF) for all their R&D dollars.

I honestly give Nissan a break if it ends up being inferior, they had zero reason logically to make another Z, sports cars are expensive to engineer, they are never going to turn a company's fortunes around on its own, consider their current status, this was not rational. Glad they did to make another offering, I guess offering the new Z does generate interest with the brand at a time when its desperate for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I agree that this effort is better than nothing and I'm sure it's going to be a better car than the 370Z but I don't agree with them jacking the price up for a re-skinned 370Z. If they could have come in at around $35k I think you could overlook the fact that it's a 370Z with a new engine. If it's $40K or more that's a hard pill to swallow.
Design cost is still cost, so is tooling for all the new sheet metals, Nissan can't exactly absorb all of that just for a vanity project, its low cost development for a reason.

And they charge more, because the entire segment has gone more expensive since the 370Z was first sold.
Consider their primary competitor are the Supra (starts at 57k CAD, and that's the 2 liter, to 67k CAD for the equivalent 3 liter), the European equivalents start even higher or at least float about 60k CAD.

The current 370Z Sport touring is still undercutting these competitors by quite a large margin (its 44k CAD here), so one can assume the 400Z will likely float south of 60k here, and therefore will still be reasonable compared to the very overpriced Supra.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0