View Single Post
      09-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #58
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Unfortunately, I think we have less than a decade before they're extinct IMO. This is why I'm closely watching the G87 in case it ends up being BMW's last hoorah. The exotic car makers (not including Porsche) have more or less killed them off, and even Honda and Mazda are not going to offer the Accord and Mazda6 with a manual starting next year I believe. I think the take rate, even with the enthusiasts ordering them will be so small that they will cancel it eventually.

I'm completely fine with automatics in a daily driver, as I actually daily drive a 2016 Tundra. Sometimes, it's just really nice to get in after a long day and just put a podcast on and go. However, on weekend cars, they're just not for me because:
1) The cliche thing to say is that they're not as engaging, which is true for me. I rented an E92 M3 with DCT from the Welt and got bored of the transmission after 1 day.
2) Auto/DCT trans age. At some point, even the wonderful 8ZF will be considered an antique. 2 decades ago, if you had a 6 speed auto, that was considered cutting edge. Now manufacturers are moving towards 8 and even more

I'm really tired of the trend the automotive industry is heading towards. Cars are getting so expensive, have less personality, questionable future serviceability ect... For example, Tesla is talking about the Plaid Edition that can do 0-60 in under 2s, 9s quarter mile and $130k. None of this interests me. Then of course it seems like every other week, there's a new multi-million dollar hyper car being unveiled.

I'm OK with sticking to my under $15k, 240 hp, 5MT E36 M3 coupe when I want to go have some fun.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0