Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
just like Tesla and many drones this is nothing more than a fund raiser for r&d. Until the battery is the size of gas tanks or smaller with a similar range and we can charge it ANYWHERE at a price of Camry it is a tough seel at this price to 99.999% of the people. We are probably 20-30 years away from the initial stage of the electric revolution. These are very primitive, ugly and inefficient tech concepts.

The battery tech impacts not only cars but other industries as well such as aerospace.
I don't think we're any near that far from seeing electric cars being more common IMO. 20 years is an absolute eternity when you consider the fact that just 10 years ago, they didn't even really exist. Now every big player is dumping a lot of resources into bringing them to the market.

I take everything Tesla says with a giant spoon of salt because they are well known to miss their own targets, but their goal is to release a $25k car within 3 years. Personally, I think they'll miss their deadline as usual, but I would certainly think that could be done within 10 years.

I do agree though, sub $30k electric cars are more interesting to me than $150k+ electric cars at the moment.
let's see how long will it take for laws and regs, infrastructure development, battery tech and s/w to converge to enable an affordable profitable vehicle.

It took aerospace 50y so now that we have more powerful computers and some experience maybe 1/2 that time. I don't see govt investing billions in roads and sensing. We have roads in big cities that are worse than in third world countries. In the mean time they are still investing bilions in oil and gas industries.

If I go camping in Maine or skiing in Colorado wehere will I charge and not have range anxiety? Or if you get stuck in a snowstorm for 2 hours will you have enough juice?
Appreciate 0