Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Agree, I mean, it's 100% consistent with every other BMW coming out right now. By all accounts, BMW did all the engineering work and designed the Z4 and Toyota is basically restyling it as a coupe and calling it the Supra.
Pretty sure that isn't true. By whose account? Have you read any of the PR or interviews from the other side? The joint platforum was co develop to meet the needs of both companies. It wasn't like the G29 had already existed or was already in development and then Toyota jumped on board.
Yes, I have read them. I was maybe exaggerating a bit. The car was joint developed in terms of ensuring the early targets were set in order to meet the needs of both vehicles, and Toyota provided expertise and components where it made sense, but the bulk of the hardware is pure BMW. The drivetrain is pure BMW, the Supra's interior clearly has BMW foundations under the Toyota veneer, and BMW did most of the platform/chassis development as well. Toyota did their own damper, steering, engine calibrations on top of BMW's platform.

Edit:

Read the article a couple posts up. The BMW rep literally says "Toyota ordered a sports coupe from us and we developed the car as we wanted." That points to my original statement being more accurate.