09-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #233
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
Saying it is just sheet metal was hyperbolic, there is no reason to be pedantic.

By this same accord, that would mean the upcoming 86 (which is another case of a low volume sports car rumored to ride on the same platform as the old model but with a different engine) will cost $10k more than it does now.

I am in no way complaining about a price increase since that should have been obvious to everyone, it is the amount with no promise of increased refinement or platform improvements to justify the costs. The Q50 did not increase $10k over the G37 sedan and the Q60 did not increase $10k over the G37 coupe, and that is even with both cars paying for the R&D and retooling for the VR30 which the new Z will not have to account for.
I wouldn't expect all the additional costs are development, has to be some amount a more expensive engine or other parts, and they will price it to maximize profits, not taking cost plus some percentage. Maybe they do far better at $40k with less volume over $35k with higher volume? Impossible to sayy.

With the 86 I think the worldwide sales numbers between Subaru and Toyota are far greater (part of the reason they did it). I have seen them in Thailand and other SE Asian countries, believe they are sold in Europe. Nissan announced the Z won't be sold in Europe, wouldn't expect SE Asian sales will be high as it is much more expensive and with lower sales numbers it requires the others to cover the costs.

How much this car improves on the previous, what the pricing actually turns out to be and if it is worth are impossible to say as we are only looking at a prototype.

Last edited by David70; 09-16-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0