View Single Post
      01-03-2024, 12:40 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
I have no idea if this is the situation or not, but if you ever go to the Norfolk area (and maybe this situation exists in a lot of large military cities) there are an absurd number of American muscle cars. Hellcats, Trackhawks, GT350s, Camaro SS etc, etc as far as the eye can see. Young people joining the service that have never had money before and are totally irresponsible with it get big sign up bonuses and head straight to these dealers and put it all down and get loans with extortionary interest rates to buy the cars they always wanted.
I've seen the same at AF and army bases I've worked at back in the 2000-2010s. Lots of newer Vettes, muscle cars, Audis, and BMWs. I assumed they were owned by higher ranking staff or by staff that were getting big sums of hazard pay in Iraq and Afghanistan. I had no idea the government pays such high reenlistment bonuses. It makes sense given that they rarely make big salary jumps and don't get decent annual bonuses like many non-government white collar employees get.

It's a very important job and there can be a lot of sacrifice, so please don't take anything wrong by what I posted prior.