09-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #869
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I didn't go back thru all 40 pages: who's doing recumbent rides? I think this could alleviate my hands issue, but still get me outside (vs riding in the gym)
Yo Unc! You have 3 points of contact when riding a bike. Saddle, Pedals, Handel bar. If you move your bars back or up you will put more weight on your saddle. When your butt starts to hurt, if you pedal harder, you'll put more weight on your feet.

It's really all about fit. Once you get that sorted, it will take a little while to get your core muscles engaged to help keep some weight off of your hands.

I haven't done hardly any road riding since July 4th and started cramming for a cycling trip that starts this Sunday. My hands and ass are feeling it. Keep moving your hands around on the bars. I also take one hand and put it behind my back for 30 seconds or so, then switch. This seems to make the numbness go away quicker than just holding my hands down at my side.

Surprisingly, you may run into the same issues with recumbents. Aside from your legs, your body is in a fairly static position and that causes things to go numb until you get acclimated to those positions.

If you're only going to ride 10 miles at a time, 30 - 40 min. Fit isn't terribly important. But when you're on the bike for 4+ hours regularly, a 5mm adjustment can make the difference between being miserable and super comfortable.