07-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #4
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I think this just more of a sign of how the NBA completely lacks fundamentals and super team setups ruin true basketball... can anyone imagine this happening in 1992 or 1996?

If you even look at modern NBA players, they are more celebs than anything, I don't even think anyone wanted to play of the Olympics team... its honestly crazy.
It's been that way for a while now. These guys are millionaire athletes and figure they can breeze through against opponents but the problem is, teams like France are also made up of several NBA players. Fournier destroyed them. They've also been playing together much longer but that's still not an excuse. Some of the US players are the best of the best.

On top of that, you've got Popovich coaching them. He said they'd been preparing for France for 2 years. This is what they came up with.

But to your point, yes fundamentals often times are lacking. Players are of such a high level of athleticism that it can often compensate for lesser fundamental skills. The US team still has solid players with strong fundamentals like Holiday, Booker, Durant, etc. This was a head scratcher though. Exhibition games were probably a sign of things to come.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10057.00