06-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
When one expresses a view about how something looks to them, that is the end of that subject. It doesn't matter what the studies show. If it scares the driver it scares the driver. One can legitimately question whether it should scare the driver but not whether in fact it does scare the driver.

Also...automobile drivers have an absolute right to speak about this issue even if they have never driven a motorcycle because they have to share the road with them.

Regardless of attitudes in California, in any state that doesn't permit lane splitting, one shouldn't do it. Car drivers won't be expecting it and that will increase the risk to everyone.
My brother is 7 years older than me. After college in the mid 1970's he moved to LA for a few years. He's been an avid motorcyclist since that time. He came back from LA with tales of lane splitting and the advantages of it. I get that it is a California thing and part of the traffic culture, but to me, it still goes against two principles that I believe are critical to successful injury-free motorcycle riding: (1) lane splitting drastically reduces the ability to place yourself with an escape route, and (2) lane splitting relies on other drivers not hitting you.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
MassNerd171.00