09-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #46
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devant View Post
Can you clarify this? Why is this is an issue?

When I audit these I just have to see that you maintain time sheets with the workers names. If they bid lump sum then just calculate the time they spend on a job and the lump sum and come up with the hourly calc?

May be I am not getting this.
You're correct. The only thing your missing is the effort it takes to go through the motions to make sure your info will jive with the GC/owner on the project as they maybe keeping track as well. And don't get me wrong, our installers are great but they don't equate themeless as a legitimate businesses. Rather they view themselves as as a couple of guys splitting the money and paying helpers a hundo every day they work. Read: they aren't the most responsible when it comes to paperwork or keeping track of who and for how long they were on the job site. More of an industry specific issued i suppose. But it's just busy work that doesn't do the philanthropic work they envisioned the DBA would, at least not for our industry.

And aside to this is that FL allows for Worker's comp exemptions. This means nearly all flooring contractors use "subcontractors" as installers. We couldn't compete with extra cost if our installers were employees and we had to pay the work comp rates for flooring installers. If we could have them as employees it would be easier for me to keep control over it. But having to keep subcontractors at arms length, (for payroll taxes) i have to depend on them to keep this paperwork straight, which they don't, which makes more work for me, because of bureaucratic BS, which doesn't help anyone. (again, at least in my industry)