View Single Post
      01-14-2022, 02:23 PM   #29
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

So I tried a few different mesh systems when I upgraded from my ASUS single point router in my new larger houses and after 4 "meh" runs I ended up right back with ASUS, specifically the XT8 Zenwifi AX. Mainly because I wanted to have a wired connecting in my office and its basically 2 full 3 band routers that can operate in mesh mode, so each router has a 4 port switch built in.

I got what I want, and from the node in my office, which is using wireless backhaul to the main node in a media closet downstairs in the back of the house I consistently get 800-840mb/s with single digit ms latency. 38 devices on it. You can even "bind" devices to individual nodes to force them to a specific node if they struggle with mesh systems or constantly grab the wrong node, etc. Stupid fucking nest connects do this, I had to bind them to get them to be reliable and Google could never troubleshoot it. You could even do a wired backhaul and I have an outlet in my office, just was too lazy and it runs so well with the wireless backhaul.

You can also hook USB drives up to it and use it as NAS. So I have my media server hardwired to the secondary node and on the primary node a massive USB drive I use as basically a timeport for all of my computers.

About the only knock is the QoS uses a service managed by a company based in China and you can make of that what you want, but I dont use QoS so I just left it disabled.
Appreciate 0