View Single Post
      09-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #26
AustinPowers007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Coupe (6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I never said anything about how many units BMW could sell. Have no idea where you got that. I will be surprised if they put a 6MT in a US Z4.

Jaguar is a good example:

"When Jaguar first revealed the F-Type back in 2013, the only transmission choice was an eight-speed automatic (much to the dismay of enthusiasts). Frankly, the eight-speed auto box was fantastic but it didn't stop people on the internet from complaining. In 2015, Jaguar caved in to demand and gave the F-Type an optional six-speed manual transmission.

And of course, since there was "such an upswell of demand" from enthusiasts, almost none of them went out and actually bought one. As it turns out, people on the internet are much more likely to bang on their keyboards rather than go into a showroom and buy what they said they wanted. The sales figure don't lie, so Jaguar decided to discontinue the manual option for the 2020 model year, leaving the automatic as the only option."

https://carbuzz.com/news/now-is-the-...-jaguar-f-type
Sorry, it was another commenter (German1967) who said 500 units. I don't really think the Jaguar F-Type situation is comparable to that of the BMW Z series, which has always included a manual transmission option since its inception. Until now.
Appreciate 0