View Single Post
      09-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #31
rikwynnpa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G29 Z4 3.0

Unfortunately manuals will be extinct soon enough

Car makers are in the business of making money. Facing increased emissions regulations around the world (super aggressive in Europe for sure) if an automatic transmission saves a carmaker even 0.5 MPG vs a manual they will embrace it. In the end, carmakers like market share and want to gain customers but they also have to follow regulatory rules first so they can make money. With the adoption of 8, 9, 10 speed highly efficient automatics my sense is that even Porsche will have to give up on manuals eventually. BMW is certainly not going to spend the money to do a manual for a car like the G29 where there are minuscule sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinPowers007 View Post
Not sure why you feel so compelled to be argumentative here. Car manufacturers, BMW included, don't always make sound marketing decisions that mesh with consumer preferences. Just look at the hideous grill of the new 4 series if you need proof! As you pointed out, nearly one in five M4 buyers opt for the 6MT, and BMW has seen fit to continue offering that option in the 2021 model. And it's a well known fact that roadster buyers tend to have a stronger preference for manuals.

So yes, it is my OPINION that demand would be there for a Z4 with 6MT based on having owned BMWs for more than 25 years and being in touch with a great many fellow BMW owners. Unlike you, I don't automatically assume that BMW knows best in having made the decision (so far) not to offer a 6MT option in North America.
Appreciate 0