View Single Post
      09-30-2020, 12:45 AM   #33
AustinPowers007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Coupe (6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasnet View Post
Auto Trans are so perfected that there is no need for it anymore. You cannot shift faster. You can still shift the car Manually if you want. Why the need for a clutch and a Shifter. Don"t give me that purist bullshit either. Formula One cars don't use them. They shift with paddles just like the Z4. Yes Formula One cars have a clutch but its just used to engage the car to get started.

Your first sentence about "need" shows that you're missing the point. I've already acknowledged that the best automatic transmissions can propel a car from 0-60 mph faster than a 6-speed manual. You can call my preference for 6MT "purist bullshit" all you want, but the fact remains that there's no substitute for the unadulterated fun and driver involvement provided by a traditional clutch-based transmission. Which is why Porsche still offers them on the 718 and 911 series, and why BMW continues to offer them on M240i, M2, M3 and M4 models. While it appears doubtful that BMW will see fit to sell the manual transmission Z4 in North America, a man can dream can't he?

Last edited by AustinPowers007; 09-30-2020 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0