View Single Post
      07-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #140
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
look, rules shouldn't be changed halfway through any season of any sport. it isn't fair and doesn't make sense. just because ferrari got outsmarted AGAIN shouldn't mean they can use political influence to change the rules to favor them more. unfortunately, ferrari does has too much influence in F1. sport should be fair for any team, not favoring one team. seems like the natural thing.
*sighs* Nothing to do with political influence, or rule changes - everything to do with following the rules. From Charlie Whiting:

Quote:
Whiting clearly stated that the decision of the Blown Diffuser was not a political one.

“I'm aware of some stories being written, but to be frank with you, I know it's not a political decision, I don't think anybody knows that is the area Red Bull are dominant in. It's a purely technical intervention from our side, and I feel perfectly comfortable with that,” commented Whiting.

Teams threatened to protest if the rules weren't enforced. Colin Kolles of HRT was the outspoken one here, not Ferrari. They believed the current rules do NOT allow the blown diffuser and therefore it is illegal. Charlie Whiting and his group agreed. Again, there is no change to the rules, the blown diffuser has been deemed illegal by CURRENT rule standards.
While they would have preferred to wait until next season to ENFORCE the rules, they had no choice with the threat of protest looming. From James Allison:
Quote:
We would have preferred to keep the status quo for the rest of the season.
Let me be clear, even if Ferrari had been involved in the protest threats, after the FIA's technical group reviewed the rules, they determined the blown-diffuser is ILLEGAL based on the CURRENT rules.
Appreciate 0