bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
How about an i8? That would be a left field entry to put a look of shock on everyone's face. Of course that look might be followed by laughter. But then, who knows what kind of exceptions they would be granted for the engine. I doubt they could though because they would want to go full ICE I'd think (perhaps by rule, I don't know). And that would send the message that a "green" race car wasn't good enough to compete.
Holy hofmeister kink! Wow, that would be something.

IMSA just happens to use FIA/ACO GTE regulations for GTLM, and I just happen to know where to find those, so ignore the fact that this is an IMSA link for a moment and have a look at my notes:

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi..._blackline.pdf

§1.19 General Descriptions - Energy-recovery: Any energy-recovery system other than that provided by the engine is prohibited. (page 4/76)

§3.300 Engine - Type and eligibility: If a mean of propulsion different than an internal combustion engine is considered, it needs to be used directly from the original car without any modification. (page 8/76)

The restrictions on energy-recovery would seem to rule out a hybrid car like the i8. At least under the current regs. IIRC, BMW would have a real challenge fitting a different engine in the i8. The B38 is very compact.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7511.50