01-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #29
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Have owned 15 BMWs and currently own an M4 as well as the Z4. I really disagree with your characterizations of the new Z4. The soft top is actually a step forward, with no more loss of trunk space and quick up/down time, including in motion.

I am very happy that BMW did not follow your opinion, because I am thoroughly enjoying my Z4 M40i
Glad you enjoy it.
I personally find the cloth in top to be very unattractive, like we did not evolved at all since 1800 when doctors had that cloth on their carriages. It never looked as it belonged to a car regardless of how much they tried. That material also fades, cracks and is hard to wash in certain cases.
Regardless of that, is unable to retain the interior temperature and stop the exterior noise. Where I live -45 C are a certainty, the AWD will not help if I will freeze inside. At that temperature, the cloth will most likely have some structural damage, especially in a vehicle like this where the body frame twist more than a normal vehicle. The blower will work harder and all the time at a high speed to keep up with the demand. Even so, the cloth has a hard life to cope as is the single barrier between two different temperatures.
In time problems arise, as is also unable to seal properly anymore with the rest of the body
In top of that, it can always be cut to have your belongings stolen, the vehicle vandalized or stolen. My cousin Z3 was stolen that way.

As mentioned before, I don’t see that BMW design so I don’t like it and is not practical for some. Yeah California, cool. Canada? Not really. And since will be a toy anyway, then as a summer toy I truly prefer the M2 instead as it is the new E46, RWD and with a proper BMW design and a small and strong carozzeria. But not everyone has a budget or the space for a such toy. I know two people that use old Z4 as a daily driver, but the new one is out of their books. I think Toyota was more practical in here.
Is true, is cute, but I personally like the old Z4 a lot more in terms of design.

Last edited by Teutonic; 01-01-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0