View Single Post
      05-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #62
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
What special accounting are you talking about?
Cite source, and data points, if you have them.

------------------

It does not need to shave anything.

Tesla figured out that it could lower battery cost by building its own lithium-ion batteries. So they are investing into the Gigafactory to double world's supply of lithium-ion batteries.

Balsy, smart, and just about the only way to secure enough batteries to hit mass production volumes!

-------------------

So, following this logic - me putting down $1K deposit on an M3 7 months in advance of delivery was ... me "crowd sourcing" BMW, right?

Actually, the phrase you are looking for is "crowd funding", but it's inapplicable as well.

I'm giving up correcting the remainder of the drivel...
There are plenty of well respected analysts that explain, in detail, Tesla's use of GAAP vs Non-GAAP Accounting and how it impacts the earnings reports. Tesla's financial structure is totally different from every other Auto Manufacturer. These analysts also address the Deferred Lease Revenue and Costs, and deferred buy back liabilities. Roughly calculated without including warranty costs (realized or estimated), no CapEx, adjusted gross per car is less than $800 per unit delivered. I'm not going to spend more time than that on it since warranty claims will have eaten that minuscule amount away almost immediately.

------------

Yes the Giga-Factory will reduce the manufacturing costs...eventually. They're almost down to a point of break even on a per unit basis already, but not quite there yet without the use of GAAP/non-GAAP. It isn't a guarantee to success though. They're taking all the risk and other companies using partnerships may end up at a lower unit cost.

-------------

No, the deposit on your M3 was with a dealership to order a car. That money is placed in a dealer Escrow account to be applied at the time of contractual delivery. The Model 3 Pre-Reservation, is a non-binding option to possibly obtain a future purchase option. It's not an order, or a pre-order. It's buying a potential order position. The reservation agreement is with d/b/a Tesla Motor Cars (Florida Fictitious Name). The Model S and Model X reservations, which are also Florida Contracts, are between the consumer and Tesla Motors Inc/Tesla Motors of South Florida Inc. and include Exercisable Purchase Options. A Florida d/b/a was chosen for a reason with regards to the Model 3 pre-reservation-reservation. I'm 99% confident as to why, but I will not discuss it specifically as I have no interest in violating my NDA.

Musk has even stated himself that non-traditional methods of raising operating cash are necessary (they aren't necessary by any means), will continue, and accompany other more traditional methods. Tesla needs a huge amount of cash to run already. Upping production 10x's in the next 18 months is going to require even more.
Appreciate 0